To optimize its research and best meet local market requirements, Lafarge has put into place an international R&D network. Research is centralized at the Group's Research Center near Lyon, France. The Research Center then works closely with the Group's technical centers and laboratories around the world for the development and industrialization of solutions at local level.
Lafarge has 4 Technical centers for Cement located in:
- Vienna, Austria, and Lyon, France, serving Europe (Europe Technical Center - ETC),
- Montreal, Canada, serving the Americas (Corporate Technical Services - CTS). The CTS has a branch in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil,
- Beijing, China, serving Asia (Asian Technical Center - ATC). The ATC has a branch in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia,
- Cairo, Egypt, serving Africa and the Middle-East (Cairo Technical Center - CTC).
Lafarge also has a number of concrete development laboratories, which work in close partnership with the Lafarge Research Center to carry out testing to adapt new products to local market conditions.
The Technical Development Center for the Gypsum Business is based in Avignon, France. The Center studies the application of products and systems in real environments. For example, it has a very sophisticated acoustic measurement laboratory which allows it to:
- analyze different systems developed all over the world and evaluate and measure their performance under identical conditions,
- promote knowledge transfer between the countries where the Group operates.